Amanda Hardy, Your Past Life Calls


Chapter 9

It didn't take much to put it all together; all the signs were there, and Amanda finally realized those disturbing visions foretold the calamity to come. But such catastrophe had been averted thanks to timely input from pop diva Toi Brazzle, the lady who jumped at the chance to co-star in Amanda's film project.

What? A movie and not a Broadway musical drama? Amanda, along with Brian and Toi, decided to do Mesozoic Me as a film rather than staged production. The subject matter and musical accompaniment, according to Toi, would have better impact on the big screen. Besides, said Toi, we're talking dinosaurs, compelling drama, great classical and contemporary music to drive the action. Such a mixture screamed for special effects, eye-popping animation, surrealistic sound and imagery. Can't do that on a stage.

So the staged production was nixed, and Amanda really had her work cut out. She had to retool her script – OK for stage, but for movies she had to rework some scenes, even get together with a couple of expert screenwriters to make the movie come alive. Of course, a movie would require greater expense what with employing special visual effects and sound, animators, procuring a major studio to distribute and promote the finished project. No problem, said Brian, who was more than happy to bankroll the entire budget.

However, Amanda's ambitious project would've been derailed all because of petty revenge. Thanks to God Toi revealed Kevin's nefarious plot to "get back" at Brian via Alice Mowbray, Dale Industries' chief accountant. Seems Kevin had some very revealing photos that Alice made back in college, and he was blackmailing her with exposure – no pun intended – if she didn't cooperate with his scheme. The scheme? He wanted Alice to cook Brian's business expense account, make it look as if Brian was embezzling large sums of company money for his own use.
Naturally Kevin timed this right; the state inspector was to look over the books next week. The man would find a discrepency that pointed to Brian Dale as the guilty party. Brian would be disgraced, ruined, perhaps would have to serve prison time. Kevin would have his revenge, leaving Amanda without a major investor.

So that was it. Those latest visions of the male spinosaurus egging on the reluctant female to attack was Kevin forcing Alice to do his bidding. Only the tables were about to turn on Kevin, but everything had to be planned so carefully.
This was the gist of Amanda's latest session with Vi Mingledorff, and she was determined that Kevin would not get away with his plot to bring down Brian. Amanda and Brian had grown closer, not just from working together professionally. Amanda was gradually falling in love with Mr. Dale, and Kevin would just have to accept that. Besides, according to Toi, Kevin proved to be a lay-about and bounder who sponged off well-off women. Surely, she thought bitterly, there are dozens of women desperate enough to put up with the likes of Kevin Williams. And woe be to whoever is his latest conquest.

In the elegant quiet of Vi's Upper West Side townhouse, Amanda wanted to unload, really get to the bottom of those visions that plagued her ever since she gave Kevin his walking papers. There has to be something else other than a ferocious male spinosaurus (Kevin) urging his reluctant female partner (Alice) to attack an innocent maiasaurus (Amanda). Why did she see the other plant-eaters surround her? Why did those animals shout, sing even, with harmonic gusto? Could those dinosaurs represent her friends and family? Only Vi could help Amanda unlock the mystery of the Cretaceous apparitions.

°°°°°°

For this session, Vi wanted to try something different, a technique she seldom used. However, in Amanda's case she made an exception, and her client needed more answers pertinent to the current situation.

"When you told me what your ex-boyfriend was up to, I had no alternative," Vi said as she lowered the lights. She had Amanda lie down on the couch and count backwards from one-hundred. Instead of playing the usual New Age music, Vi chose a series of chamber works, one of which was Amanda's personal favorite. While enjoying the music, Ms. Hardy was puzzled. Opening her eyes, she asked, "Schubert's Death and the Maiden. The first movement is quite dramatic. Why use that?"

Vi replied as she unlocked a wall safe and retrieved an object wrapped in black muslin, "Don't you remember telling me you thought of using this in your movie. Anyway, I wanted you to focus on the second movement. It sort of lends itself to this technique."

Amanda lay back on the couch, closed her eyes, and let the music surround her. The unmistakable sounds of the death dirge opened the second movement, mournful yet beautiful. Vi placed in Amanda's hands an object that resembled a child's toy top. The little object was of finest sterling silver, gleaming in what paltry light filtered through the half-closed blinds. The object began to spin, giving off a faint whirring sound but not enough to drown out the music. Amanda wanted to ask what the thing was for, but Vi reassured her it was instrumental for this seldom employed technique. With a shrug, Amanda again concentrated on the music, the lamentable death dirge underscoring the visions yet to come.

"I want you to ease your mind, Amanda," Vi said soothingly. "Clear your mind of all things negative. Let the music transport you back to that place where you first dwelled, where your soul made its first appearance on this earth. Now, count backwards from 100."
Amanda did as told, cleared her mind, then began to count, "One-hundred, ninety-nine, ninety-eight..."

That strange little object began to vibrate in her hands, its pulsating light engulfing her very being. As soon as she reached ninety, Amanda began to feel weird, unsettled. Undaunted, she relaxed her body and mind, focusing on the music.
Those instruments waxed lachrymose, guaranteed to bring tears to Amanda's eyes as most times, yet she didn't feel like crying. The tempo picked up a bit as the violin sang those gorgeously woven notes. Amanda listened as she sank deeper into her subconscious. Vi said nothing other than ask, "What do you see, Amanda"?
"Nothing yet," came the reply. She was focusing much on the music, now with the viola and cello taking over. Always Amanda's favorites of the string family, they took her on a journey she would carry with her for a lifetime.

In her mind's eye she could see nothing, but her gut told her to surge forth. Ah, there was a glimmer of light coming from what Amanda could tell was a partially opened door. In her subconsciousness, she could actually feel herself walking to that door, touching and turning the knob. Gradually and cautiously she opened the door, finding it necessary to shield her eyes from the brilliant sunlight. She could still hear the music, now all instruments playing a light lyrical passage, the violin sounding like the twinkling of a bird's call.

She walked through the door, finding it slamming shut the moment she stepped forth. What is this place? It doesn't look like a room. It was plainly outdoors, and it didn't quite register with Amanda until she stepped out onto the open meadow.
The music changes abruptly, this time the first movement with its dramatic, fiery opening chords. It's dark, forbidding, ominous, yet subtly beautiful and beckoning. It served as an apt backdrop for an unforgettable encounter.
She glanced about, taking in the clear blue sky overhead, the twittering of birds, breathed in fresh cool air. She recognized the meadow, the towering mountains in the distance. Undaunted, she strolled through the meadow, revelling in the many sights and sounds. From a short distance, Amanda could hear and feel the slight vibrations of impact tremors. She was not afraid, for she knew it would eventually come to this.

Standing motionless in the middle of the meadow, Amanda watched as they came forth, one by one, each eyeing her with peculiar familiarity. Then she saw her, the one whose body her soul inhabited eons ago.
The maiasaurus, a towering animal who dwarfed Amanda, approached the female creature still standing in the meadow. Cautiously she came forth, stepping within touching distance. She looked at Amanda with loving yet curious eyes. Bending down, the dinosaur allowed Amanda to pet her massive head. Without thinking, Amanda Hardy spoke, "So, you are – were – me in a previous life. At last I meet you."

She began to sing in her richly lyrical mezzo-soprano, a sound not lost on this ancient animal. The maiasaurus hummed low as if following each and every note. The other animals came forth, surrounding Amanda protectively. There were dinosaurs of every size and sort, from towering brachiosaurs to tiny microceratopsians. They stood close by, revelling in this curious creature they would have never beheld in life.
This music she brought with her certainly put them at ease, her voice wafting over them like a warm breeze. Odd that they seemed rapt in the words, although Amanda reassured herself these Cretaceous creatures didn't understand German, let alone a song about a young maiden having a conversation with Death.

But in this slice of early Earth history, death was a constant reminder of the fragility of life. Certainly these animals understood that, and they definitely could grasp how Fate steps in and dramatically alters what seems to be a charmed existence.

They closed in around Amanda, allowing her to touch them. She smiled as she greeted and acknowledged each. Continuing her song, Amanda was oblivious to the faint grumbling emanating from deep within the faraway tropical forest. In time, she – as well as her dinosaurian companions – would have to face that monster head-on without flinching.

°°°°°°

He didn't hold it against her. Brian Dale, despite his no-nonsense approach to business, truly cared for his employees, especially when they were in trouble. He took a personal interest in Alice's predicament after Toi Brazzle revealed Kevin Williams' pathetic scheme to get back at Brian.
What Kevin didn't know was that Alice and Toi were old friends from grade school. Despite their divergent career paths – Toi's rise in the pop music world and Alice's position at Dale Industries – the two women remained friends. Toi stood by Alice during the latter's marital woes and subsequent rift with the father-in-law, and she helped out with Alice's daughter's medical needs, often recommending specialists and offering to help pay for treatment.
Alice didn't need any 'help' from the likes of Kevin Williams, so when she pretended to go along with the man's plot, she immediately called her friend who in turn alerted Brian.

The problem was figuring out a way to trap Kevin without tipping his hand. This is why Alice kept a separate 'cooked' executive expenditures file while maintaining the company's expense accounts as she always did. When that state inspector came in Monday morning, everything was in A-One shape; not one figure was out of place or suspect. So Alice let Kevin believe Brian was 'abusing' his corporate expense account but all the while knew that everything her boss spent was legitimate.

On this day, Brian enlisted the help of a few close advisors and colleagues. He would need their input in how to trap Kevin Williams. Already there was much incriminating evidence concerning Mr. Williams' financial circumstances. Seems he had absconded with some of Amanda Hardy's money long ago, and that lady had yet to discover the missing funds or that her ex-boyfriend routinely stole from her over the years.

There was another thing: Kevin had kept company with several women on the side, without Amanda knowing. Toi was one of those ladies, only she had the guts to put the lowlife out. Kevin also led a secret double life. One of Brian's contacts determined that Kevin Williams maintained a separate home in Springfield, Ohio, and that he commuted frequently between New York and Ohio several times a month.

No wonder the man was frequently absent during Amanda's last tour. The evidence was there, and Brian dispatched one of his best private detectives to the American Heartland to confirm it all. What that man found was astounding: Kevin Williams, going under the alias of Kip Wells, kept a wife and two children in Springfield. 'Kip' as it turned out was a traveling salesman who was always on the road. So that would explain his numerous absences, and Mrs. Wells had no idea her husband was an imposter, a deceiver of the worst kind. Apparently he married Tracy Wells eight years ago, wasted no time fathering two kids: a boy aged six and a three-year old girl.

It pained Brian to learn this, and he summoned the courage to tell Amanda. She had every right to know who and what her ex-fiancé was up to, what he was capable of. And he had to bring Tracy Wells to New York, although her life as well as that of Amanda's would be totally destroyed once the truth revealed itself.

So Brian had to work fast. He was aware that Amanda would be devastated, and it could jeopardize her film project. But the truth had to come out sooner or later. He had to take that chance despite the fact that he was gradually but surely falling in love with Amanda.
With a sigh, he picked up the phone and dialed Toi's number. Perhaps she could help steel Amanda for the inevitable, and also set up Kevin Williams for a nasty downfall.

°°°°°°

"Amanda, I'm going to bring you back. Count forwards from 1 to 30."
Vi Mingledorff took the odd little object from Amanda's hands then gradually opened the blinds to let light in.

"One, two, three...I really don't want to leave. It's so peaceful here, and I'm making so many wonderful friends. Four, five, six..."

By the time she reached twelve, Amanda slowly opened her eyes. She never felt more relaxed, more sure of herself. For the first time in weeks she was at peace with herself. But one nagging question remained: Would she, in the next session, have to face the monster who not only slew the maiasaurus' young but tried so desperately to destroy her hopes and dreams?

Vi explained, "What you experienced was your friends and family surrounding you, protecting you. They will, in time, be there when you finally face your demons, symbolized by the predator. Do you know of someone who wants the worst for you, for your friends?"
Amanda nodded. "My ex-fiancé. He's hiding a dreadful secret; I can feel it. He's also plotting the worst scheme for a dear friend. But he doesn't know one of his many ladies – I know about the other women in his life – ratted on him. Hey, I wonder if the reluctant female predator represented either Toi or Alice. In my vision, I didn't see any spinosaurs, not one. Just the plant eaters surrounding me with their love and presence. I tell you, Vi, I've performed in all sorts of venues, but never in a Cretaceous setting, in the presence of dinosaurs! They were so enraptured with the music, something that they never experienced in their lifetime."
Vi smiled but grew serious, saying, "Amanda, I want you to return tomorrow afternoon, say around two. There are still unanswered questions, such as the predator you heard in the distance. I feel if you, in your altered state, in the company of the plant-eaters, face down that monster, then you will be able to handle whatever calamity life is about to hand you."

Before Amanda could answer, Miss Meade, Vi's housekeeper, knocked and entered the office.
"I have your tea, madam," she said while efficiently setting up the tea tray. Miss Meade then handed Vi a note, saying, "Oh, madam, a message came for you. I didn't want to disturb your work. It sounded urgent so I waited until I brought up your tea."
Vi graciously took the note, thanked her maid, and said, "Thank you, Miss Meade. That will be all."
The housekeeper quietly exited the office, leaving Amanda and Vi alone to enjoy their tea.

"Nothing serious I hope," said Amanda, accepting a cup of steaming oolong and hot buttered teacake.
"Oh no, Amanda. It's my niece Tracy. She's coming to New York for an extended visit. Packing up the kids and flying out all the way from Ohio. I haven't seen her or the children in ages. Her husband travels frequently, always on the road. He's here in New York on business, and she thought since the kids are on fall break it would be great for them to see the city – and their dad."
Amanda listened intently then got an idea. "Say, Vi. When do they arrive?"
"Well, Tracy says they're leaving this afternoon. That means they could be here...Oh my goodness, they'll be here tonight."
"Where are they staying? With you?"
"No, they'll stay at the hotel. From what I gather from this note, Tracy wants to surprise Kip."

Vi thought a bit then said, "If you're thinking of what I'm thinking...Hmmm..."
Amanda smiled. "Since I'll be here tomorrow, why not I hang around and meet your niece. It would be a treat for them, and it might do me some good."

Vi replied with a smile, "Perfect. Come to think of it, I've never met Kip, and this will give me a chance to reconnect with my family. I'll send a message to the hotel for Tracy to bring everyone here tomorrow for lunch. I can't wait to see their faces when they meet the famous Amanda Hardy."

To be continued...Go to Chapter 10

Copyright©2004 by P.R. Parker. All rights reserved.


CWW Home
CWW Fiction Files
Passion Magic Fiction Files (for mature audiences only!)
Email @ MSNTV
Email @ Yahoo