american dragon

Chapter 7

Deep in the dragon's chamber, Zoe slept fitfully. It was not a pleasantly restful night for Zoe ever since she learned that one of her kidnappers met a violent end at the hands of her father's trusted attorney and friend. Why did Steven Dix do such a thing? It didn't make sense. Daddy never suspected that Dix had planned to kidnap me, but for what? What could he possibly gain by keeping me captive. It can't be money, so Steve better have a valid reason for kidnapping me and killing that girl.

She tried to summon images on Neva's magic mirror but nothing materialized, just haze and fuzzy apparitions. Zoe worried about Bud's fate and whether Steve Dix got to him. "He'll kill Bud just like he killed that girl," she said out loud as she tried to go back to sleep.
Zoe had entertained notions of extracting herself out this predicament. She was, she concluded, of no use down here in the dragon's chambers. Bud was definitely in trouble; Neva had yet to return; both Zoe's father and fianc้ probably had given up the search, fearing Zoe dead already. "They're probably dragging the river, or searching every boarded up building from here to the lakefront." Then again, Dix was still out there, possibly lying in wait for her. But what if he's skipped town already? Surely the cops have put out an APB; they've most likely got the FBI involved, maybe the cops in surrounding states. Whatever, she thought, Dix is not a stupid man, and he won't hang around, especially since he's now wanted for murder. Isn't it obvious? He must be on the run.
With a heavy sigh, Zoe endeavored to sleep, but she couldn't shake the odd feeling that all was not over. Deep in her mind, odd words of a language she never knew played around in her head. What were those words, and what did they mean? Why was her mind playing tricks on her? Could it be Neva sending Zoe telepathic messages? And just where is Neva? Surely she'd be here by now. This is not good...Neva could be spotted...She could be facing mortal danger herself, especially since she's been so very careful in not letting humans see her in the flesh. People wouldn't understand; they'd go into a panic then try to kill her. Worse yet, they could lock her away in a lab, "studying" her...

Zoe tried to go to sleep, but sleep never came. She simply could not stop worrying. She looked at her reflection in the mirror, her once fine black silk dress all soiled and wrinkled, the dark brown hair mussed, the usually expertly manicured nails chipped and rough. She ran her hands through her hair, thinking that she really should leave this place, Dix or no Dix.
"Come on, Neva!," she said aloud and exasperatedly, "Why don't you tell me when I can leave? It's been three days!" She began to cry, not knowing how or when she'll ever see her loved ones.
She wandered the cavernous chamber, wondering how Neva managed to build such a magnificent dwelling. Then again, the dragon had lived here nearly a century. She must've seen so much history, both the good and dark times. Wonder what she thought of the Red Summer of 1919, or the Black Sox scandal, or Capone and Nitti, or the Chicago Seven...The jazz, the arts, all the rich cultural flowering of Chicago...

Sitting on the gleaming crystal stairs, Zoe tried to devise ways to escape. Not that she was ungrateful to Neva or Bud, but she was getting quite desperate. What wonders when, out of no where, that blue crystal orb appeared at her feet. Zoe, amazed that maybe it was a sign that everything was OK, picked up the orb and cradled it in her hands. Suddenly the crystal sparkled and pulsated with glorious light. Again, that voice played in Zoe's head, that mysterious language that was so foreign to Zoe. Why am I feeling this way, she thought. Why won't that sentence, whatever it means, leave me be? It can't have anything to do with Neva or Bud, or does it?

The orb then did something odd; it beckoned Zoe to the exit, the same door to which Bud led her three days ago. The crystal seemed to pull at her, compelling her to follow it. Perhaps, she concluded, it was time to leave, maybe it's finally safe.
With orb in hand, Zoe made her way up the dark, winding stairway towards the door. Her heart pounded all the way, her apprehension growing with every step. Is this for real or a trap? She didn't want to think like that, for all she wanted was to reunite with her father and fianc้. She wanted to go home.
She reached the top, turned the ornately carved iron latch, and opened the heavy door. Peering out in the darkness and with a sigh of relief, Zoe recognized the orchestra pit. She cautiously climbed out of the pit and momentarily assessed her surroundings. There she saw the very spot on the main floor where Dix drugged Andy Ford. She ascended the steps to the stage, her eyes falling on the chalk outline denoting where the cops found Donna's body. She cast her eyes upward to the catwalk where Dix shoved an unsuspecting Donna to her death. On that stage Zoe remained, looking out on the empty auditorium. In her mind she could conjure the thunderous applause of the audience. She could sense so many excellent performers – musicians, comedians, dancers, actors – receiving either accolades or disapproving boos.
However, those voices began again, that eerie phrase in an unknown tongue overtaking her very being. Within moments, Zoe felt stronger, invincible even. Whatever force had possessed her body and mind, it finally gave her the courage to exit that theater.

How fortunate that no one saw her leave out the rear stage door. All alone in the alley, Zoe was oblivious to the growing chaos in the street. She checked her dress pocket but found no money, no car keys, no credit card, no means to go home. OK, maybe I can find a phone booth or some place that is still open. I can call the police or Daddy...They can come get me. At last I'm free!
Zoe walked to the end of the alley that ran behind the theater, trying to find an exit, but of no avail. The alley seemed endless with its years old trash and litter. No one ever ventured down here after dark except the homeless, prostitutes, and druggies. Perhaps, she thought, one of Bud's street friends might happen by. She could tell them what happened to her, and that Bud tried to help her. It was all she could think of while valiantly trying to negotiate her way out that alley. It all seemed like a huge maze, never ending and from which extremely difficult to escape. No sooner did she think that she found an exit to the street that there was another turn, another proverbial fork in the road. "Now what to do?," she said out loud, still gripping the blue orb. She wanted the orb to guide her out of this tangle of back alleys, and it did just that. The orb began to glow almost incessantly, casting its beam toward what Zoe concluded was the way out.

And she did find that exit. Shrieking in triumph, Zoe ran out into an empty street. No traffic, no pedestrians. Now where to go? She thought she heard the hum of a helicopter not far away; the screams of fire engines blared in the near distance. Running towards the intersection, Zoe could smell smoke; she could see flames shooting from what looked like an abandoned building. Maybe Neva is there, maybe she's found Bud, alive I hope. But what about the chopper and fire engines. Surely Neva didn't cause such a stir that it caught attention of the media and emergency personnel!
Crossing the deserted street, Zoe made tracks to the fire's direction. She swore she saw the dragon's head bob and weave among the tall buildings. Oh no! Now everyone knows about Neva. It's the human contact and attention of which she so carefully avoided. It's all Steve Dix's fault! If it wasn't for him, then Neva could still live her life in peace and secrecy. Oooh, if I ever run into him again...

Those voices again...They're growing stronger...I can make out words, but what is that language?

No sooner did Zoe spot a lone pedestrian running away from the chaos brewing blocks away, that she lost her common sense. She wanted to go home and didn't care if this person may cause her harm. She called out as she ran to him, "Hey! Do you have a cell phone? I need to call my father and the police right away! I've been in trouble and I need to make a call!"
Now, with this man's face in plain view, Zoe stopped just in time. Steve Dix! Why is he still here? And why did he run from the fire? Is Neva after him? I have to get out of here, but how, and to where?
Not thinking of the consequences, Zoe began to run in the opposite direction; she still clutched the blue orb, hoping it will give her a good adrenaline rush. I have to make it to the El...have to find a way home...to Daddy and Nathan...call the cops...I'm free but not...Oh God please help me...

Zoe began to tire; the constant running made her heart beat fast and hard, the breathing labored, the limbs screaming for rest. She slipped into another alley, just to rest and catch her breath. I really hope he didn't see me...have to keep going but I'm so winded...that's what I get for not keeping up with my exercise routine...really have to find time for workouts and aerobics...
From behind she felt hands upon her. One hand covered her mouth, the other held her quite immobile. It was Dix, and he chuckled sinisterly as he made his threats.
"So, at last you figured it all out. And now, because of your new friend, you've led me right to her. I shall take care of her then you!"
Zoe didn't quite understand but it all finally sank in. Steve knew all about Neva, and now he's vowed to kill the dragon then her. But how? How will a short, overweight, obviously out of shape lawyer, whose only exercise was shooting the occasional billiard ball, be any match for a fire-breathing dragon?
At any rate, Zoe struggled in Dix's grasp, the blue orb still clutched tightly in her hand. No way was Steve Dix getting his hands on it. Those voices played in her head again, this time growing more pronounced, only now the voice became almost recognizable although Zoe could not quite make it out. That voice was decidedly female, and spoke in a clipped accent – to Zoe the voice had a tinge of African and Spanish. Has to be someone from Neva's past...or someone who knew of the dragon and the curse placed upon Neva's family...but what does that have to do with me?
Somehow, that orb, now emitting a shrill screech, its inner light pulsating brilliantly, almost rhythmically, sent its power throughout Zoe's body. With a mighty jerk, she managed to free herself from Dix's grasp. He tried to reach out to her again, this time pulling out his pistol in the process. He slammed Zoe against a rusting chain link fence, took aim, and said, "I knew I should've killed you on the spot, and those two cowards I hired to kidnap you didn't have the guts to do it! Now that I know who you are, within seconds you will be just one bad memory."
Hopelessly trapped and facing imminent death, and with no means of defense, a panicking Zoe suddenly hurled the orb at Dix, beaning the man on the head and deflecting the gun out of his hand. Imagine Zoe's surprise and shock when that orb, still intact, landed at Dix's feet, engulfing the man in a glowing greenish cloud. For a moment, Zoe couldn't see Dix – the cloud was that dense – nor could she see the transformation taking place. When the cloud dissipated, Zoe stood in both awe and sheer fright. In place of the pudgy Steven Dix stood a man of towering height and indescribable beauty. He was slender, but seemed to possess a good deal of physical strength. His dark eyes blazed with an awful fire; the jet black hair glowed brilliantly. He was no longer dressed in Dix's usual natty attorney's attire – expensive three-piece suit, white shirt, and highly polished shoes – but in something Zoe recognized as decidedly medieval. All black – doublet, hose, boots, a round chaperon with padded brim and silk veil – the color only accentuated the long, slim body and conveyed an air of evil and danger. It was a color that matched his soul: dark, cruel, forbidding, wicked, totally devoid of all that was good and true.

Zoe was taken aback. "Who are you?"
The man smiled – a sinister, reptilian grin that showed his perfect white teeth. "Why, child, don't you know me?"
Zoe couldn't answer right away as she noticed the orb, still lying at the man's feet, glowing and pulsating furiously. What has happened to Steve?, wondered Zoe. Why is this man standing in his place?
At first instinct, Zoe wanted to run but remained rooted to her spot, unable to move a muscle. The man smiled again, saying, "Oh my dear Signorina Kendall, or may I address you by your given name: Zoe? Allow me to introduce myself. I am Dato, and at long last my search is over. Now, my girl, you will lead me to the dragon!"
Zoe was no fool; she had an inkling this man was up to no good. Somewhere deep within her, that voice played again, this time growing stronger and surged throughout her system as if wanting to escape from her lips. Who is that speaking to, or through, me?

At once, a newly empowered Zoe squared her shoulders, looked Dato straight in the eyes and said in a strong, determined voice, "No! If I am right, you will harm her! Neva is my friend. She helped me escape a kidnapping. She was to contact my father and return me home!"
Dato just kept smiling evilly, laughed, and replied with a sarcastic, wicked edge, "O, foolish girl! Your precious Neva won't be around to help you, not for long if I get my way! For more than five centuries I've hunted her down, hoping finally to slay her, thus thwarting the curse..."
Now Zoe became quite alarmed. What does he mean by "I've hunted her for five centuries"? Oh no! So this is the man who was to buy an unhatched Neva. He only wanted her to kill her. Maybe that Abelard guy stashed the egg on the ship, to save her life. Can't let this man get to Neva. But how to alert Neva, and where is she anyway?
No sooner did that wish – that Neva was here now – was silently uttered that at this moment, not far from where Zoe and Dato stood, chaos brewed.

******

"This is unbelievable! What you are seeing, ladies and gentlemen is no fantasy. An actual dragon is loose near Centralia Square. We understand a homeless man had been held hostage in this abandoned tenement, and his captor, a known hit man named Bruce Endicott, has been rushed to the hospital. From what we know, Endicott suffered a heart attack and is in serious condition..."

The reporter, full of awe and disbelief, could not quite comprehend what he relayed to the station. With mike in hand, he tried to question onlookers who gathered to watch the incredible. An actual dragon, something rational people think of as just the stuff of fairy tales, wrought her brand of chaos. The building, slated for demolition, was now engulfed in flames; it was a total loss.
Firefighters, police, EMT's, and even a battalion of National Guard armed with M-16's, endeavored in vain to bring the dragon down. But she thwarted all attempts of these pathetic, close-minded humans. She was just there to help a friend in need, and that friend, a non-descript homeless man simply known as "Bud". She wanted to make known that she and she alone could finally solve the Zoe Kendall kidnapping case. She worried about Zoe, who by now, in the dragon's estimations, has left the secret chamber, perhaps returned to her father and betrothed. But no, it was not to be, for the mysterious crystal orb had yet to work its full magic on Zoe.

She is danger...I can sense it...O, what treacherous, dark designs await her if HE ever...I must go to her...

Ignoring the onslaught of flashing cameras, onlookers' screams, and the threat of military sharpshooters, Neva quickly spread her wings and sped posthaste to her friend. It was now or never. By now, Zoe would finally discover that Steve Dix was not the man she and her father knew...

******

"Where is she? Where is the dragon's lair?"
Dato, in full rage, grabbed Zoe by the shoulders and shook the girl, demanding she take him to Neva's chambers.
"Never!," she replied defiantly. He was hurting her; the viselike grip digging into her upper arms. He then slapped her across the face several times, bringing tears and more curses. That voice again welled within Zoe, trying desperately to escape. Whatever was that?, she thought. Why won't it let me be, or at least let me say those words although I don't know what they mean. Oh, Neva, wherever you are, please hurry!

Like clockwork the dragon appeared overhead, landing in the darkened deserted street below. She faced Dato, commanding in a dark, forbidding voice, "Let her go! It is me you want, O evil One!"

In an instant, Dato released Zoe, eyed Neva, replying, "After more than 500 years, we finally meet face-to-face. Such a pity that your newfound friend shall watch you die, slowly and painfully."

Neva was not daunted by Dato's threats. After eons of hiding herself from human contact, only to keep watching over her shoulder in fear that this man would finally carry out his sinister goal, it was Zoe who now demanded much attention. It pained Neva to have Zoe witness this unavoidable confrontation. She came to love and cherish Zoe, so much that she secretly and silently summoned spirits from beyond. If Dato is to be defeated, Zoe Kendall will be the final proverbial nail in the coffin for so twisted that, centuries ago, he sold his very soul for immortality. But Neva knew differently, and that knowledge had escaped Dato. In the end, Neva would explain why Dato wanted to desperately to slay the dragon, why the curse was placed on her family, what events sprouted after an inexperienced Italian navigator freed her, then the real story behind the House of Kendall.
Spreading her wings to their fullest span, assuming the battle position, and summoning all her firepower, Neva finally challenged Dato with, "If it is a fight you want, so be it!"

A blast of flame, a burst of lightening...then silence...

TO BE CONTINUED...GO TO CHAPTER 8!


COPYRIGHT ฉ 2003, 2004 BY P.R. PARKER. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

 

CWW Home
CWW Fiction Files
Passion Magic Fiction Files (for mature audiences only!)
Email @ MSNTV
Email @ Yahoo