1. Stuff a miniature marshmallow in the bottom,
of a sugar cone to prevent ice cream drips.
2. Use a meat baster to "squeeze" your pancake batter
onto the hot griddle.... -perfect shaped pancakes every time.
3. To keep potatoes from budding,
place an apple in the bag with the potatoes.
4. To prevent egg shells from cracking,
add a pinch of salt to the water before hard-boiling.
5. Run your hands under cold water
before pressing Rice Krispies in the pan
the marshmallow won't stick to your fingers.
6. To get the most juice out of fresh lemons,
bring them to room temperature & roll them under your palm
against the kitchen counter before squeezing.
7. To easily remove burnt-on food from your skillet,
simply add a drop or two of water to cover bottom of pan,
and bring to a boil on stovetop..
skillet will be much easier to clean.
8. Spray your Tupperware with nonstick cooking spray
before pouring in tomato-based sauces.. no more stains.
9. When a cake recipe calls for flouring the baking pan,
use a bit of the dry cake mix instead..
no white mess on the outside of the cake.
10. If you accidentally over-salt a dish while it's still cooking,
drop in a peeled potato..
it absorbs the excess salt for an instant "fix me up".
11. Wrap celery in aluminum foil when putting in the refrigerator
..it will keep for weeks.
12. Brush beaten egg white over pie crust
before baking to yield a beautiful glossy finish.
13. Place a slice of apple in hardened brown sugar to soften it.
14. When boiling corn on the cob,
add a pinch of sugar helps bring out the corn's natural sweetness.
15. To determine whether an egg is fresh,
immerse it in a pan of cool, salted water.
If it sinks, it is fresh..
if it rises to the surface, throw it away.
16. Cure for headaches:
Take a lime, cut in half & rub it on your forehead.
The throbbing will go away.
17. Don't throw out all that leftover wine:
Freeze into ice cubes for future use in casseroles and sauces.
18. If you have a problem opening jars:
Try using latex dishwashingb gloves.
They give a non-slip grip that makes opening jars easy.
19. Potatoes will take food stains off your fingers.
Just slice & rub raw potato on the stains & rinse with water.
Gettin Rid of Mosquitos
Make sure that there is no standing water in your yard.
They will use any still water to reproduce, whether it's a pond, bird bath,
or a bucket left upright that has collected rainwater.
Bat boxes will also help. Bats eat mosquitoes, so they are our friends
If you attract bats to your yard, you will have less mosquitoes.
Lemon Joy dishsoap in a white styrofoam bowl attracts and kills them.
Use Bounce Fabric Softener Sheets ..just wipe on & go..
Great for Babies
20. To get rid of itch from mosquito bite:
try applying soap on the area, instant relief.
21. Ants, ants, ants everywhere...
Well, they are said to never cross a chalk line.
So get your chalk out and draw a line on the floor
or wherever ants tend to march - see for yourself.
22. Use air-freshener to clean mirrors:
It does a good job and better still,
leaves a lovely smell to the shine.
23. When you get a splinter,
reach for the scotch tape before resorting to tweezers or needle.
Simply put the scotch tape over the splinter.. pull it off.
Scotch tape removes most splinters painlessly & easily.
24. NOW Look what you can do with Alka Seltzer:
25. To separate coffee filters without loosing its shape,
pinch in the center of the filter and pull out.
Clean a toilet - drop in two Alka-Seltzer tablets,
wait twenty minutes, brush and flush.
The citric acid & effervescent action clean vitreous china.
Clean a vase:
to remove a stain from the bottom of a glass vase or cruet,
fill with water & drop in two Alka-Seltzer tablets.
drop two Alka-Seltzer tablets into a glass of water
..immerse the jewelry for two minutes.
Clean a thermos bottle - fill the bottle with water,
drop in four Alka-Seltzer tablets,
let soak for an hour or longer.. if necessary.
Unclog a drain;
Clear the sink drain by dropping three Alka-Seltzer tablets
down the drain followed by a cup of Heinz White Vinegar.
Wait a few minutes, then run the hot water.
A friend was helpful enough to send this to you,
so now it's Your turn to pass it along to your friends, too
In winter, if you put a drop of liquid dish soap on your eyeglasses
(both sides) and then wipe off with a dry cloth,
they will not fog when coming into a warm room from the cold outside.
Use Vicks Vapor Rub.
Just smooth it on the infected nail.
It is fast working and the best.
American Fox Hound
Another member of the family who needs love is our pet.
Here are a few tips that can make life with your pet more enjoyable.
Dry cornmeal or baking soda can be used as dry shampoos for any furry pet.
Rub it in well, and then brush it out.
The good news is that your pet will not only be cleaner, but deodorized as well.
Make a special shower curtain for the purpose of bathing pets (such as dogs) in the tub.
Cut out holes for your hands and head.
You will still get splashed, the rest of the room won't.
place a bath mat in the tub to help your pet feel sure of his footing and therefore enjoy the bath more.
Using baking soda in the rinse water will help make your pet's coat shinier and softer,
plus the deodorizing effect will make him smell better.
If your pet comes home with burrs or other tangling plants in his coat,
crush the objects with pliers or oil them and they'll be easier to remove.
Remove pet hair from upholstery with a slightly damp cloth or a strip of adhesive tape.
The best trick ..flea removal ..take a pie pan,
put in about 1/4 inch of water with a squirt of dish soap,
and light a votive candle in the center.
Put one/two of these in each room with a flea problem each night.
At first, you'll find lots of fleas in the water.
You'll know when to stop when you don't see any!
Here are a few remedies that might help us in the Future...
1. Flies or bees bothering you?
Spray them with hairspray and they will take a quick dive.
2. Sealed envelope - Put in the freezer for a few hours,
then slide a knife under the flap.
The envelope can then be resealed. (hmmmmmm...)
3. Use Empty toilet paper roll to store appliance cords.
It keeps them neat and you can write on the roll what appliance it belongs to.
4. For icy door steps in freezing temperatures:
get warm water and put Dawn dishwashing liquid in it.
Pour it all over the steps.They won't refreeze.
5) Crayon marks on walls? This worked wonderfully!
A damp rag, dipped in baking soda.
Comes of with little effort elbow grease that is!).
6. Permanent marker on appliances/counter tops
(like store receipt BLUE!)
rubbing alcohol on paper towel.
7. Purchase a box of S.O.S Pads,
Immediately take a pair of scissors and cut each pad into halves.
Scissors get sharpened this way!
8. Opening brand new jars can be a feat in itself.
Instead of banging a jar of jam, pickles, etc.,
with a knife until it loosens up,
simply reach into the drawer & pull out the handy nutcracker.
It adjusts to the size of the jar
simply give it a good twist and off pops the lid!
9. Blood stains on clothes? Not to worry!
Just pour a little peroxide on a cloth & proceed to wipe off every drop of blood.
Works every time!
10. Use vertical strokes when washing windows outside
and horizontal for inside windows.
This way you can tell which side has the streaks.
Straight vinegar will get outside windows really clean.
Don't wash windows on a sunny day.
They will dry too quickly and will probably streak.
11. Spray a bit of perfume on the lightbulb in any room
to create a lovely light scent in each room
when the light is turned on.
Place fabric softener sheets in dresser drawers
and your clothes will smell freshly washed for weeks to come.
You can also do this with towels and linen.
12. Candles will last a lot longer if placed in the freezer
for at least 3 hours prior to burning.
13. To clean artificial flowers,
pour some salt into a paper bag and add the flowers.
Shake vigorously as the salt will absorb all the dust
& dirt & leave your artificial flowers looking like new!
Works like a charm!
14. To easily remove burnt on food from your skillet,
simply add a drop or two of dish soap and enough water
to cover bottom of pan, and bring to a boil on stovetop.
15. Spray your Tupperware with nonstick cooking spray
before pouring in tomato based sauces & there won't be any stains.
16. When a cake recipe calls for flouring the baking pan,
use a bit of the dry cake mix instead and there
won't be any white mess on the outside of the cake.
17. Wrap celery in aluminum foil when putting
in the refrigerator and it will keep for weeks.
18. When boiling corn on the cob,
add a pinch of sugar to help bring out the corn's natural sweetness.
19. Cure for headaches:
Take a lime, cut it in half, rub it on your forehead.
The throbbing will go away.
Old Fishin' Tipster Fishing tips and tricks
Best Inspiration from the Net from Dobhran's Inspire!
The Best Tips Ever
Sign My Guestbook
View My Guestbook
Copyrighted ©Laine Caudell *2002-2004
Updated.. October 12, 2004
..All Rights Reserved..
Shoot for the Moon